Author Topic: DAVIDSON, DAVEDSON, DAVISON(EN)Y NEGRON  (Read 4545 times)

izzy

DAVIDSON, DAVEDSON, DAVISON(EN)Y NEGRON
« on: February 06, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
Looking for  Consuelo DAVISON/DAVIDSON Y NEGRON,  b. 1875  in Puerto Rico; resided in Catedral, San Juan, PR according to 1910, and 1920 US Federal Census .   She had cousins born in  Ponce, PR.  I would be very grateful if somebody could do a look-up for her birth &/or death record.  Any information would be helpful. Thank you, Isabelle G.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest »

admin

• Administrator
    • http://www.familythen.com
Re: DAVIDSON, DAVEDSON, DAVISON(EN)Y NEGRON
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:40:35 AM »
Please let me know how and if you get any birth or death records as I'm kind of in the same boat, I need to look up records pre 1800 and not sure what the best path is.
Please let me know if you find help and how.
Thank you,
Marcus
Marcus

izzy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »
Consuelo had a sister, Elisa, b. 1877, DAVISON y NEGRON(the name could be any variation of DAVIDSON). They had an uncle, Francis, born in Ponce, 1822, his mother Elisa Edith DeLEON, married to Thomas DAVIDSON.  Consuelo resided in  her cousin's home. (US Census 1900, Maryland). But she is on the 1910 & 1920 census residing in Catedral, Puerto Rico.  I would like info. on this family, and if possible, where can I get her death record. Thank you, Isabelle

izzy

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
I think I have to write to the parish of Ponce &/or San Juan "municipal", for a death record.  Could you tell me if this is  the way to start looking for Vital Records in Puerto Rico? Isabelle

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 07:37:27 AM »
Thank you I'll do that I hope (depending on my tax man) to go to the Island in April and God willing maybe visit the local Church and see if I can get some answers to my questions ...
Thank you so much,
Marcus
Marcus

Berryblue

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:23 PM »
Hello everyone,

For records predating 1900 or 1800, your best place to look for anywhere is at this link...

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... html#start

DO NOT type in the fields to search for records as it will come up with NO HITS!! Instead, click on the words(link) below the search window:

Search or Browse our record collectionns

Click right on the words, you will then see a map, click on the South America region of the map OR select Caribbean, Central and South America from the drop down.  Scroll down to Puerto Rico and select the one you want to view by clicking on the words.  Once you do this you will see the municipalities that are available.  All of the Civil records are available but as of today only some of the church records are available.  Once you select the one you want, you will have to click on the Municipality and a menu will come up with the type of records available.  After you click on the year you want to view, a submenu right below it will appear with the number of images available, click on the image numbers and you will notice that the records will appear on the bottom half of your screen.  You have the option of jumping around the images by advancing via the little white box and changing the image number or just clicking the next button.

There are also records available for Spain and other European counties...depending where your findings lead you.  My best wishes to everyone!  :D

Berryblue

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 06:40:15 PM »
Marcus,

To help you a little, let me explain.  In order for you to have a successful find, you need to read up on Puerto Rico history.  I can tell you that before I started this, I knew NOTHING!  However, I've learned how municipalities have been created, what churches existed in certain time periods and where people move/lived and whether the records are available today.  You have to read about the history of weather, the death toll, fires, Tsunamies, that have hit the island.  These are all very important to help you figure out whether you find the records you seek.  You will find a huge death toll in 1898 due to the hurricane that hit the island and killed over 3,000 people, devasted their coffee industry and caused the starvation of many.

In addition, prior to 1885, the Catholic Church was the record keeper of births, deaths, and marriages.  There are some rare instances that some municipalities maintained records but it is rare to find them.  The reason behind the 1885 which became globally accepted was because of the United States.  They were not accepting people after that year who didn't have a formal record from whatever country they came from.  It led to most countries maintaining this information at a government level vs. a religious level.  

Now to add to this picture, many didn't bother to register until it became a requirement in Puerto Rico in 1930.  You will find many people just didn't record births or deaths with the municipality or that it was recorded accurately because it all depended on when a person went to town.  Remember that many were farmers and lead very simple lives.  

So before you make trips, visit the site I provided and also visit a Family History Center if you want to order films not yet available on their site.  They have a large catalog of what is available, it's easier than requesting permission from the church to access their records that are quite old.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 09:59:07 AM »
Thank you for your information. So I returned from Puerto Rico this morning while there I went to Ponce in search of some family history only to find the church closed. As I was hoping to find some data related to marriages, births, deaths etc. I was told by a local historian at the museum (Museo de la Historia de Ponce) that many of the documents were destroyed in a fire.

I will take your advise and learn more about the history and record keeping of the time as well as contacting the church and asking them about their process for getting access to data remotely and if any exist from the period in question.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.

Marcus
Marcus