Author Topic: Spain's Right of Return Law  (Read 6964 times)

gilmac

Spain's Right of Return Law
« on: May 21, 2010, 02:07:48 PM »
Does anyone know if citizens of Puerto Rico born prior to American annexation in 1898 were born citizens of Spain as well? Does anyone know anything about Spain's Right of Return Laws which grant Spanish citizenship to the children and grandchildren of those born as Spanish citizens? If anyone knows anything about how this law applies to Puerto Rican citizens born before 1898 and their descendants please let me know.

Gracias
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by Guest »

ginacorwin

Re: Spain's Right of Return Law
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
I would also like to know this answer. I am stuck and can't get any earlier than 1900. My great grandfather is rumored as having gone back to Spain, but I can't find any proof.

Samrivera

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
I found this on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return#Spain

The Historical Memory Law (Spanish: Ley de Memoria Histórica), which will take effect in December 2008, introduces temporary (two-year) changes to current Spanish nationality laws. Those whose father or mother were born original Spaniards (regardless of their place of birth, whether they are still living, or whether they currently hold Spanish nationality) and those whose grandparents emigrated due to political or economic reasons will have the right to de origen Spanish nationality. Until and while the Law of Historic Memory takes effect, the following laws will also apply:

1. Spanish-born emigrants (mainly exiles from the Spanish Civil War and economic migrants) and their children are eligible to recover their de origen Spanish nationality without the requirement of residence in Spain. They also have the right to maintain any current nationality they possess.

2. Regardless of their place of birth, the adult children and grandchildren of original Spaniards (original Spaniards are those who, at the moment of their birth, were born to people who possessed Spanish citizenship) can also access Spanish nationality on softer terms than other foreigners: they require just 1 year of legal residence, and they are exempted from work restrictions. This law in practice also benefits the great-grandchildren of emigrant Spaniards as long as their grandparents (born outside of Spain) are/were original Spaniards.
Sam Rivera
Tampa, Florida

bklyngal217

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:16 AM »
That's interesting, but I don't know any of this applies to today's Puerto Rican descendants of Spanish ancestors.  I do know that after 1898, those holding Spanish citizenship (born in Spain but residing in PR) had to either apply and declare themselves American citizens, or maintain their Spanish citizenship and reside as "foreigners" in PR.  Whether or not "right of return" applies after all this time, you would have to first determine if your Spain-born ancestors switched citizenship, that could make a diference, but again, I don't know if it even applies.

(The citizenship papers are available through FHC films).